Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015 Writing Resolutions

Guys, I have amazing news for ya'll: we survived 2014! And to jump on the bandwagon, here's a few resolutions I have for 2015-
  • Keep Reading. Really, one of my biggest regrets is how little I read my senior year of high school, freshman year of college, and most of my junior year. During my Spring 2014 semester (when, really, I didn't have much time, anyway), I began reading a lot more, which spouted this blog, and with that reading I think my writing-while still growing-has improved. Plus, there's so many great novels coming out-from new and established authors-that it would be a huge shame to miss out, don't you think?
  • Keep Writing. Maybe this seems obvious, but I am consistently reminded of how easy it is to simply stop. Put down the pen, never open that document with the WIP on it again. It's frightfully simple, particularly when there's excuses like school to worry about, and when I succumb to my own fears and doubts so quickly on bad days. I'd love to make it through another draft of THE HOLLOW MEN (currently driving me mad); I'd love to start something new. I'm ecstatic to start my senior thesis (a creative project in which I'm rewriting fairy tales). Each and every one of those goals, however, starts with reminding myself that nothing will ever get written if I never write.
  • Keep Interacting. If ya'll don't know already, I've technically been a member of Twitter since 2012, but I never actually used it until this past summer (2014). Since I began interacting with other readers and writers, I've met so many amazing people that have done nothing but inspire me to keep doing what I'm doing: anything is possible. One of my absolutely favorite things in this world is the opportunity that I have to meet new people, and I look forward to meeting many new people in the new year, and learning from them, as well.
Those are the most basic goals in the world, I know. But I plan to keep to them. If ya'll want a few specifics, here goes:
  • Did ya'll know I've maintained a 4.0 GPA through five semesters at college? I graduate in December 2015, which means that by this time next year I'll be an official adult, and I'd love to have the bragging rights to keeping a 4.0 GPA through my entire college career.
  • If I can get to a somewhat partially polished version of THE HOLLOW MEN, I'll be over the moon. If it's polished enough to make it to beta readers, then you'll never get me back on earth.
  • I enjoy running on the treadmill. This might be a bit cliche, but if I can work out at least 5 days a week, I'm sure to be in the best shape of my life.
  • Finally: the first niece I've ever had, a beautiful little girl named Ella Mae, was born to my oldest sister in September. Unfortunately, Ella and her parents live in New York while I'm here in New Mexico, and I've been unable to meet my niece in-person. I'd love to change this in 2015.
Well, what about you? What kinds of resolutions-writing and otherwise-do you have in 2015?

Tweet It:

@Rae_Slater shares her goals and resolutions for 2015, including writing, reading, and meeting new people. (Click to Tweet)

@Rae_Slater shares her reading, writing, + life resolutions for 2015, and asks: what are your goals for the new year? (Click to Tweet)

No comments:

Post a Comment