Thursday, December 18, 2014

Rae's Top Books of 2014

So, I realize that apparently a customary thing is to do ten books that were you favorite over the course of the year, but I only have nine. And I really do't want to find just a placeholder, because I feel like that would be lying to myself.

Therefore, ya'll get my EIGHT top books of 2014. And, yes, I realize that there's technically more, but I'm pushing entire series titles into one. So sue me.

The books that made this list did so for certain reasons: they either had an impact on me mentally/emotionally, or else they inspire me to continue and better in my writing. Without further ado, let's get this list started:

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER

stephen chbosky


Why: I read this book way back in the beginning of this year, and while I can't actually name exactly what continues to draw me to it, it stuck with me. I even named my blog after it (ya'll were at least a little curious, right?). I guess it's the theme of being the person in the background, and dealing with all sorts of society things, and the one phrase, "We are infinite." It's perfection, and I just connected to it.

THE RAVEN CYCLE

maggie stiefvater

Why: Maggie Stiefvater has absolutely entranced me with her series. I'd always heard awesome buzz about THE RAVEN BOYS, and when I finally gave in I realized that I wasn't to be disappointed. The plots are intricate and carefully laid out, the writing is beautiful, and the characters are so real I feel like I could touch them.

SIX MONTHS LATER
natalie d. richards


Why: I love things that have to do with amnesia. I'm a sucker for it. I love trying to answer the question of how close our identity and our memories are. And the fact that Richards paired it with a well-thought-out and well-executed mystery was fabulous. I love mysteries.

IRKADURA

ksenia anske


Why: Yet another book that I'd heard a lot of positive buzz of before buying. IRKADURA is completely surreal, and it explores the darkest side of human nature in Soviet Russia. It's thought provoking, and simply a beautiful read.

HOUSEKEEPING

marilynne robinson


Why: I read this book in my Form + Technique: Fiction class during the Spring semester. It's an extremely easy and simple read, but it's another of those thought-provoking ones that's just stuck with me, mostly because of the way both sisters in the novel grow up to be so different. Basically, it's just interesting to see the different roads they take despite being raised under the same series of relatives. Excellent characters.

THE LUNAR CHRONICLES

marissa meyer

Why: Fairy tales mixed with science fiction and futuristic chaos? Be still my beating heart, this is another set of books that went right up my alley with all of my favorite things. The narrative is beautiful, the plot fantastic, and the fact that I'm still waiting for WINTER to come out to finish the set is driving me bonkers. It's totally magical, and the characters are phenomenal.

SHUTTER
courtney alameda

Why: Hauntings,, ghosts, spirits, gore, and a clever narrator/protagonist to tell the tale? Yes, please. SHUTTER comes out in February, and there are no words for how excited I am for everyone to get to read this gem. It's perfect for the fans of horror done right: a plot with a time limit, and a series of characters that are both nutty and absolutely lovable at the same time. Plus, the writing's phenomenal.

IN A HANDFUL OF DUST

mindy mcginnis


Why: This companion to NOT A DROP TO DRINK uses the idea of the hero's quest to take Lucy and Lynn across the country. There's new lands, gruesome civilizations, and a great deal of characterization in terms of Lucy trying to figure out who she is and where she belongs in a world that's falling apart. McGinnis is also a wonderful story teller, and her words are enchanting.
*
Okay, folks. There's my list of the best books that I've read this year. My question to ya'll is: what were your favorites, and did any of them make my list?
Tweet It:

Blogger @Rae_Slater's top books of 2014 include titles by @courtalameda, @kseniaanske, and @natdrichards (Click to Tweet)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for including my book on your list. I'm honored to be in such great company. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, dear. And thank YOU for writing such a fabulous book that I STILL think about.

      Delete