Thursday, October 30, 2014

To Those Who Have NaNo'd Before Me

I know a lot of ya'll are beginning to freak out because NaNoWriMo starts on Saturday, and I wish I could offer ya'll some kind words, but here's the only thing I can really say without lying to ya'll:

Writing 50,000 words in a month is hard.

I can tell you, however, that I've done it before. Last year, I told myself I wasn't going to participate in NaNo because I simply didn't have time (because NaNo comes right at the end of the semester when I usually have a million papers to write). So after that, I told myself that I'd just start writing a new idea on November 1 and see how far I get.

And then I accidentally wrote the entire 74 k word first draft of THE HOLLOW MEN. So that was fun.

What's I'm trying to say, though: ya'll are amazing for containing the determination and motivation that it'll take to write 50,000 words in a month, amidst everything else happening in your hectic lives. Some of ya'll will beat NaNo, some of ya'll won't, but everyone will have a document with many, many words that they can look back on and say: "That's right, I did that. I at least tried."

Which makes ya'll better people than I will ever be.

So to all those who have NaNo'd before me, and to everyone who will NaNo now, I just want to say good luck. I'll be cheering for ya'll all month!

And my question: what're ya'll going to be working on this month?

Tweet It:

It's almost time for NaNo! A message to everyone participating from blogger @Rae_Slater (Click to Tweet)

No comments:

Post a Comment