Thursday, October 2, 2014

Rewrites: Beginning Again

Today's post is going to be super short. One reason is that I just don't have a lot to say, and the second is that I have a history test today at one (mountain time) and I'm trying to study for it as much as I can. so wish me luck?

Basically, it's an update. I finished my 2.5 draft of THE HOLLOW MEN about a month and a half ago. As usual after finishing a draft, I took a break. Why? I write myself out. Personally, when I finish a draft I just can't bring myself to write anything else for a week or two, and even after that I give myself a bit of distance so I can go back to the draft with a pair of fresh-ish eyes.

My break from this draft of THM happened to be six weeks, and in that time I've just been thinking about it. And to keep my writing practice up I've tried out a few different ideas.

Actually right now I'm subtly pointing to the "Secret Project" I've got on the side of this page. Because the fact is, while I love that secret project to death it just doesn't quite have the *spark* that THM has for me.

Which is why I'm going to start re-writing, or at least drafting out some new scenes for a new direction I'd like to go that I think will fix a major character motivation problem. meanwhile, I'm waiting for edits to come back from a few people, and getting as far ahead in my schoolwork as possible.

Because, let's face it: I'm ready. I'm burning inside, wanting to reconnect with these characters. And that's what I've been waiting for.

My point for today's thoughts? Don't be discouraged if you start ideas and never finish them. I've got probably upwards of 30-40 started and unfinished ideas, because while I love the overall plot they just don't have that *spark* that I was talking about. Sometimes, it just clicks. And when it does, you've really just got to roll with it.

Also: please wish me luck on this test. Pretty please?

Happy Thursday!

Tweet It:

The "spark" that burns. How #Rae_Slater knows she's ready to begin again, and start her rewrites (Click to Tweet)

No comments:

Post a Comment