Friday, August 29, 2014

Author Interview: Clara Stone

Story time.

Over the summer, I had the amazing experience and luck in being able to beta read FOREVER KINDA LOVE, self-published by Clara Stone. At first, I thought it was just something to help out with: read the draft, send back my notes (there were 10 pages of them in size 10 font; oops?), and wish her luck with her journey. In return, I've come to realize that Stone (a.k.a. Priya Kanaparti, who is also published through Reuts Publishing) is probably one of the sweetest gals I've ever met.

And, today, you get to see that for yourselves, as I've got an interview to share with ya'll. So, everyone, say hi to Clara Stone/Priya Kanaparti!

*

First, let's talk Ace and Heath: what inspired you to come up with these characters and tell their story?

So I had, and always was, fascinated by best friends turned lovers type of stories. So when I was ready to write my next novel, Heath's and Ace's story was the first to unravel itself in my head. And the words just flew out of my finger tips and onto my computer. I completed the initial draft, which was the outline/foundation to the story, in just 6 weeks and it consisted of 53k words by the time I typed 'The End'! And this was while I worked full-time AND was playing Mom at home!

What were your biggest struggles while writing this book?

The biggest challenge was figuring out the common denominator for Heath and Ace.  What is it that draws them to each other. Was it life experiences or traits or hobbies... I think by the end--and adding some additional 27k words--I had this figured out!

While some might not admit it, I am adamant that every writer has their own favorite parts/scenes of their own books; without giving away any spoilers, what's your favorite part of FOREVER KINDA LOVE?

My favorite part is letter Heath writes Ace, followed by the chapter that comes right after. Both of these were a last minute additions to their story!

FOREVER KINDA LOVE is your first self-published book (edit: Stone/Kanaparti's first self-published book was actually DRACIAN LEGACY, which was later published with Reuts. See what good a little extra research can do? Thanks for the clarification, Clara!), but you also have a YA book published with Reuts. What made you want to publish FKL yourself?

The thing I LOVE about self publishing is truly the flexibility to make the call with every aspect of 'The Making' of the book--from editing process, to book covers, to publishing to reaching and having that personal touch with blogging and reader community.

How has self-publishing differed from the more traditional publishing route?

My personal experiences have been that in self-publishing:
1) The decisions made are 100% my choices.
2) I get to meet personally with every individual that will be reading or promoting my book!

How do you best manage and balance your writing life alongside your "life" life?

Honestly? I have no idea! I think sleeping less hours in the day and really wishing and hoping the food gets cooked by itself and the dishes gets cleaned automagically, and laundry gets put away with the snap of my fingers. Oh, and having a husband that's quite a bit supportive of my love for writing :).

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

Learn from your past mistakes and move on. Remember that you're writing for yourself and not for others. That's the only way to keep yourself sane and true to your characters.

Last words: tell us something about yourself that I haven't asked yet.

I'm an extremely optimistic person that some people--ahem, hubs-- calls it a disease! lol.

*

Isn't she great? And if you haven't, already, check out FOREVER KINDA LOVE:

Life’s. Little. Surprises.

The last thing seven-year-old Carrigan "Ace" Casper foresaw was an eight-year-old Heath Lovelly walking into her life the day her mother died. From that moment on, Heath sticks by her side, slowly becoming her strength, her confidant, and her entire world. What she doesn’t know is, she's his saving grace, too.

Ten years later, Ace is handed another crippling challenge that threatens everything in her almost perfect life. Only, this time, she doesn't turn to Heath, hiding the truth instead. But Heath knows Ace too well and won't back down easily. He's ready to do whatever it takes and will stay by her side until she accepts that their love is the kinda love worth fighting for.

Will he be her forever triumph or her unexpected downfall?

Two lives.

One story.

And an unexpected journey to falling in love.(sourcce:goodreads)

Meet the Author:


Priya Kanaparti lives in the beautiful city of Boise, ID.  Unlike what most believe about Idaho, it’s more than a sack full of potatoes. When she’s not writing, you’ll catch Priya reading YA and NA books, mostly romance, and enjoying time with her family. She is a proud CW TV addict.

She also write Mature YA and New Adult romance under the name Clara Stone. She is published through Reuts Publications.

Facebook * Twitter * Blog * Goodreads * Pinterest



Tweet It:

@pkanaparti talks Ace, Heath, and her inspiration for FOREVER KINDA LOVE via @Rae_Slater (Click to Tweet)

@Rae_Slater interviews @pkanaparti about balancing life and writing, and FOREVER KINDA LOVE (Click to Tweet)

No comments:

Post a Comment